The Restrict Act, which is being proposed in the US right now, is more than just a TikTok Ban. This bill features severe egregious violations to our right to privacy and freedom of speech. If this bill passes it will change the face of the internet forever.
If this was about banning TikTok, they would pass a bill that simply bans TikTok. But the uni-party is trying to create the same system of domestic spying they did after 9/11 for the internet, only now on steroids.
The bill makes NO mention of TikTok whatsoever.
* The “Restrict Act” better known as the “Ban TikTok Bill” will give the US government legal access to your email, browsing history, personal messages, posts and “inspect, search, detain, seize, or impose temporary denial orders with respect to items, in any form, or conveyances on which it is believed that there are items that have been, are being, or are about to be imported into the United States in violation of this Act or any other applicable Federal law;”
This is not limited to fining, the bill also states that you can also face having your property seized at government’s discretion and without explanation.
* If it’s found out that you are using a VPN (Virtual Private Networks) to access TikTok, you can be fined UP TO $250,000.
* The bill gives the federal government the power to access and monitor any activity from suspected devices, virtual or otherwise, without telling anyone. The US government will have access to your email, browsing history, personal messages and posts. This essentially gives them the power to spy on you without your knowledge or consent, monitoring you at all times.
* This includes routers, modems, online video games, streaming apps, social media, ring cameras and other camera systems, smart thermostats, literally anything they make use of the internet.
* Parts of the bill aims to criminalize using VPNs and would give government nearly unchecked authority to ban any app considered not aligned with national interests. These would be used against TikTok but the power given and precedent set aren’t limited to that.
* In summation, this bill effectively bans anything at all the government deems “inappropriate” for whatever reason, very quickly, without warning and without voter input and further allows the government to spy on you directly through anything that makes use of the internet, 24/7.
On top of all this, if you use a networked device (that millions of people already use), the US government will have access to it at any time without notifying you. This means your ring camera for your door, any indoor security devices with a million users and so much more.
There are 150 MILLION TikTok users in the US, but even more people use the internet for ordinary purposes. This affects ALL OF US regardless of your political affiliation.
This will make it much easier for government to locate and criminalize people that ignore government censorship and puts you in direct danger for speaking out and seeking out information on subjects like vaccine warnings, government/school overreach, child labor laws, cannabis rights, etc.
We’re all in danger if this passes
Contact your local representatives and question them about their stance on the Restrict Act. Tell them you expect them to be unsupportive of this bill and any attempt to pass this absurd legislation will result in losing your vote! Ask them if they are for or against our Constitution, rights to privacy and freedom of speech because it granting this bill would be in direct violation of it all. Contact your Representative at Capitol Switchboard (202) 224-3121.
Co-Sponsers of the Restrict Act listedbelow: These representatives need to know of our severe mistrust of this malicious act.
Sens. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)
Deb Fischer (R-NE)
Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Michael Bennet (D-CO)
Dan Sullivan (R-AK)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
Susan Collins (R-ME)
Martin Heinrich (D-NM)
Mitt Romney (R-UT
Josh Hawley (R)
John Thune (R-SD)
Mark Warner (D-VA)
Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
You can contact yours or any House Representative or Senator by phone by calling the Capitol Switchboard: U.S. Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
you can also Recall a City Elected Official. This is for Portland but you can apply this to your area:
HOW TO RECALL A CITY ELECTED OFFICIAL https://www.portland.gov/elections/recall-elected-official
Mar 07 2023 Press Release: The Restrict Act
WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Sens. Mark R. Warner (D-VA), Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and John Thune (R-SD), ranking member of the Commerce Committee’s Subcommittee on Communications, Media and Broadband, led a group of 12 bipartisan senators to introduce the Restricting the Emergence of Security Threats that Risk Information and Communications Technology (RESTRICT) Act, legislation that will comprehensively address the ongoing threat posed by technology from foreign adversaries by better empowering the Department of Commerce to review, prevent, and mitigate information communications and technology transactions that pose undue risk to our national security.
Replacing data gathering on TikTok by China with extreme restrictions by our own government is NOT protecting US Citizens.
Josh Hawley justifies punishing US citizens with severe fines and government property confiscation by calling the bill “TikTok banning”: This is not about banning TikTok. It is about punishing US Citizens for using TikTok and apps LIKE TikTok. This applies to all of social media – Twitter/Youtube/Facebook posts, and the likes of TikTok.
” Umm, Let me come back and give you a better explanation” … ? Notice the hoodwinking of Sen Lindsey Graham on Fox News as he squeezes out of admitting to being a “supporter” of this act … In lock step, every one of these co-sponsoring senators only speak of how bad China is, not of the extreme restrictions and penalties that come from our OWN government by banning ALL websites and applications they consider “anti-American”.